This quick and easy black bean chili recipe is ready to eat in about an hour. It's a tasty fall dinner option with the flavors of smoked bacon and chipotle.
Prep: 15 minutes - Cook: 41 minutes - Serves: 8
- 1 pound applewood smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed, 1 can coarsely mashed
- 1 container (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 1 jar (16 ounces) mild salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sour cream, sliced red onion, chopped avocado and/or chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. In medium saucepot, cook bacon over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally; with slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Drain all but 1/4 cup drippings from saucepot.
2. In same saucepot with drippings, cook onion 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cumin and chili powder; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Stir in beans, stock, salsa, salt, pepper and bacon; heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes about 10 cups.
3. Serve chili topped with sour cream, red onion, avocado and/or cilantro, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 1/4 cups ): 414 Calories, 22g Fat, 7g Saturated Fat, 35mg Cholesterol, 2079mg Sodium, 36g Carbohydrates, 10g Fiber, 6g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 25g Protein